Monday, August 12, 2019

Entry 7, The No-Show

By luck or chance, I noticed one of my dating apps sent me a notification.  Someone matched with me!  I signed in and realized this match is a woman who actually lives in the same town as I do.  I thought this could be a wonderful opportunity to date someone a few minutes away instead of a few hundred miles away as I have been accustomed to.  It's stange how I have more dates and better dates with women living in Utah than I do East Idaho, but that's a topic for another post. 

So, I sent this new match a message and she replied within minutes.  A good sign for sure.  We continued trading messages for about an hour.  I found myself fighting the feeling to be excited, but it was tough not to be hopeful.  We traded messages and pics that evening and I felt good about asking her to meet.  This should be common knowledge that you don't drag out swapping messages on a dating app.  You really should meet face to face sooner than later.  Naturally, I asked her to meet and a time was set.  She gave me her phone number right after this--awesome!

She texted me the next day and we had a nice moment visiting.  More information was exchanged and we found ourselves flirting with one another.  I was enjoying how it all was going.  We had a good flow of questions and answers, there was a bit of flirting, and we had a meet and greet planned.  Then, the next morning, I get a text saying how she has "issues" and that she is afraid of rejection.  I did my best to identify and validate her feelings.  She complimented me for communicating well and changed her mind about our meeting.  I was relieved and we continued texting for about another hour.

It was now time for our meeting. I sent her a text saying I was on my way.  I got there on time but she was nowhere to be seen.  I waited for 30 minutes and sent her another text saying that I had went home and hoped everything was ok with her.  I received a text from her about 3 hours later saying she had something going on with her daughter and that her phone was dead and just barely had it charged.  (Really?  How many of us let our phone just die and how long does it take to charge it?  The circumstances were fishy.) In spite of my suspicions, I chose to trust her reasons and suggested she propose another time to meet.  After all, she didn't expressly claim cold feet or some other fear.  I haven't heard from her since that text.

The big question on my mind is, why use a dating site if you aren't willing to date?  Also, is it really too much of a burden to say you aren't interested?  While I can't claim to know with certainty why this woman didn't show, I am comfortable with my guess.  It's too bad, but this happens more often than not.  We will have matches who just quit sending messages or won't show up to meet.  Some claim it's too easy to do these things or that they don't want to confront you with bad news but isn't it odd how this would have been done via text, so why not just be up front? It's not like we would be talking this through on the phone or even face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment